Monday, December 24

Be Without You

Family is important for the holidays. I strongly believe that.

However, with family surrounding me at this very moment, I can't focus on the joy of the holidays. Instead, I am thinking about the dread after the holidays. The day after christmas, you know after waking up from my soul food induced food coma, I will have to report to work at 5:45 in the morning, not only will i have to come to work before the sun comes up, but I will have to stay there until six o'clock, after the sun is down. That means the day after christmas I will not see the sun.

How messed up is that? How am I supposed to have holiday spirit when Macy's works me to death? I mean, it's christmas eve, I should be celebrating with family, but instead I am so over tired from working hella hard. My legs hurt, I feel like I've grinded them all into my hips, and not only that, but I'm jaded for the holiday season. I wrap all these presents for people who are just doing it because they believe that's what they are supposed to do on the assumed day of Christ's birth. I used to love Christmas, the holiday used to be so big, with 6 feet of snow, and making a day trip to new york to go pick up that one special gift of the year.

However, over the years Christmas has changed, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels the same way. I also don't think that just my growing up has anything to do with it. People don't know what to do when Christmas comes around and they don't have any money. We're still trying to live like it's 1999 and our biggest fear was Y2K not the shallowness of our pockets. Now people are still trying to cling on to the material notion of Christmas instead of the loving spirit. =[


That is all.