Sunday, November 30

Holiday Check-Up Pt. End




So, my holiday officially came to a close with me stepping out onto the cold, wet, Atlanta sidewalk today, and that's how my day continued.

However, let's rewind to Raleigh-Durham Airport. So I get through security in a manner of seconds, with an hour to go since my flight was delayed. I was standing in line at Starbucks to get my ritualistic Carmel Machiatto before I fly, when the little display cups took a strange shape. I blinked, and there stood 3 packs of Marlboro Lights, beckoning to me. The craving had hit, I don't know what it is about airports, but I always smoke before I get on the plane and after I get off the plane. I have to. So, I walk over to the convenience store and ask the lady where the smoking section is, I didn't even look to see if she sold cig's or lighters, I could get those anywhere.

The not-so-lovely convenience store lady smugly told me I would have to go back outside and smoke and then come back through security. I pouted, and then wheeled my bags around to go find my gate, I sure as hell wasn't going to miss my flight for a habit I had supposedly gotten rid of. Although, I swear I heard the lady from the convenience store cackling as I left, Honestly woman..."don't judge me."

The plane finally comes, after 1 3-way call my 2 brothers for 40 minutes, and we board. Of course, two old women sit next to me, which means I'm going to have to be endure to long-winded stories that I don't care about and peppermints. The stories begin, and I'm frantically searching for my Ipod when the woman tells me, "I'm dying." Okay so she didn't flat out tell me that, but she brought up the fact that she was sick, and that she had 4 types of Stage 4 Cancer and only a couple months left to live.

I sat in my seat and almost cried because I was so mad at myself. How could I be so selfish, focusing on a craving for a cigarette, when I'm looking at someone who's paying the ultimate price for her habit, her life. I pray to god to heal my Grandmother every chance have, yet I still throw my life away by smoking. The woman sitting next to me just brought clarity to me like an angel. I saw her struggle right there in seat 41 B and could not let it go unnoticed. I was present for her struggle so that I don't have to be that way when I get older. I can prevent myself from bringing on certain types of cancer, I can pro-actively be healthy. I owe it all to my seat-mate Mrs. Meyers,  and I've decided that every day I go without smoking, everyday I deny the craving, every day I make a conscious effort to be healthy is for my 41 B Angel Mrs. Meyers