Sunday, December 28

Too Much of Something is Just As Tough

Song: Too Much
Artist: Spice Girls
Album: Spiceworld

This can also be entitled, "When Good Trends Go Bad"

On my break, I usually walk around the mall and talk on the phone. I don't eat (because I'm broke) but I window shop. I can't even walk into stores like Forever 21 and Wet Seal anymore. They just bother me, cause the mall I work at is so Janky. Yes I'm spoiled now that I've had a taste of Lenox (which isn't even that great anyways) However, I saw signs for sales and whatnot and against my better judgment I decided to take a peek at what these stores had to offer. What I saw, underneath all of the retail carnage, was horrendous, or should I say (Whorendous....hahha I crack myself up)

What I realized, was that some of these trends were actually great trends, but the low budget versions thouroughly missed the mark. Hmm... lets take a look, shall we?Hmm, the testy leopard print. Leopard is wonderful, it's sexy when it peeks out from unexpected places, but can be overwhelming when it's the major print in your ensemble. As you can see, Leopard can only be pulled off in certain fabrics and prints. A fabric cut with no depth and movement, get's you nowhere, especailly if it's the main part of your outfit (ie. Your Whole Dress)The Rouched shirt. This is great when you want to hid little problem spots, while not wanting to wear a Moo-Moo. (Or Mu-Mu if you want to sound chic) However, again it depends on what kind of fabric you use. The model seems to be wearing a light jersey material, while the tank-halter shirt thing is more of a stiff rayon material. Not a good look, you'll have pointy bumps all over, rather than that flowing draping look you were going for. Also, on the brown shirt, the seams are right down the middle, wich will create a break in the smooth draping look, and will just make the fabric look like it's pulling, Rather than in the red shirt, where the seams are at the sides, and the material doesn't look like it's forced to create that effect.The Cool, Hip, Hoodie: Everyone's trying to get on the crazy train with this trend. People think if you throw a few bold colors and a patern on a sweatshirt (and maybe give the model some skinnies) you'll get instant success. This is not the case. The sweatshirt on the right makes no sense at all, Pixelated Cheetah? I'm ashamed, and the black banding around the waist and arms that already looks faded, yeah not worth it.
Juicy Couture VS. Forever 21: Juicy is clear winner, Forever looks as if they took a jumper that didn't sell too well last year and stuck feathers on the bottom to jump on the Alexander McQueen/Kenly crazy train. If you're going to add feathers, don't make it look like you stole them from a feather boa that belongs in claires. Also, the Feather's shouldn't make the dress, the Juicy dress is an outstanding little jumper on it's own, but the added trim gives it a funky flair that's just right for the dress. It's not too simple with a gaudy trim, or too much with an over the top hem. It's just right.


This marks the end of installment one.