Wednesday, May 27

"And I'm Proud to Be an American, Whre At Least I Know I'm Free"


Song: God Bless the USA
Artist: Lee Greenwood

When did America become a Christian Nation?

Yes I know the history, of the country. Native Americans were living here for centuries until Christopher Columbus wandered upon HispaƱola and Cuba and claimed it for Spain as the West Indies. Then later the Puritans came over from England to Plymouth, to practice their protestant Christian religion freely.

Of course the country has a strong Christian foundation, but once America became the land of immigrants, it also became the land of many different religions, where people were able to practice whatever religion they chose, freely.

Now, with the recent decision of Proposition 8 fresh in my mind, I can't help but thinking, What is Going on In America? Personally, I align myself with the christian faith, I only do it because my parents have done it. I haven't really read the bible, or go to church faithfully, however if someone inquires about my religion, I admit that I am a Christian. However, just because I embrace Christianity does not mean I shun all other religions. Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism,and Islam can all coexist. Just because we have different ideals does not mean that we must differ ourselves. It goes the same for Race, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Age, and Class just because we may differ in many ways, does not mean we can't co-exist.

So what I don't get is the relinquishing of rights to Same-Sex marriages. Members of the Judeo-Christian faith's may not believe in Same-sex marriage, however that's their choice. It should aslo be the choice of others to believe in it. Many people get on their moral high horse about this subject, but in America, it should be loud and clear. The fact that in the bill of rights, we've procured the Freedom of Expression,
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
This regards siding with, or against an establishment of religion. Just because a certain religion abhor's Homosexuality, does not mean the country has to. The religious advocates can choose to believe that abortion, and same-sex marriage, and Harry Potter are evil. However, others who still pay their taxes, and abide by American law can also choose to believe, and should not be hindered in the choice to do so. While topics like Abortion are definitely more hard-pressed to make a decsion about, considering the consequence of a "life." Same-Sex marriage does not affect anyone else, but those who choose to partake in it.

Ultimately for Christians, judgement day will come. And yes we are supposed to help others follow in the way of Christ, but we cannot force them to. Which is why, forcing Gay couples to be ostricised because of their sexuality is not helpful, nor very Christain-like.

The California Supreme Court should rethink their descison to prohibit, in the name of ???

Our laws should not be soley based on Christian law, we are not a Christian nation, we are a nation of all faiths, and we should all be represented.