Monday, March 23

"The Best I Ever Had"

Song: Best I Ever Had
Artist: Drake

Mixtape: So Far Gone
Damn, I gotta listen to this again?
After walking from dorm to dorm, passing by cars and more cars, I can't help but hear one of Drake's songs being blasted. It's great, I loved the So Far Gone mixtape, because personally I had given this actor/rapper no cred before it dropped. My fault for having pre-conceived notions, but I'm always a little wary of that crossover act.

Anyways, So Far Gone is blasted everywhere and I've come to think to myself, is this good or bad? How much exposure is too much exposure? Everyone knows that songs get tired really easily, and at the rate EVERYONE is bumpin' Drake's new music his shit is gonna get old really really quickly. (Although he didn't even drop an album, so this could just be a little prop in his bag of tricks.) I mean, I don't want his shit to become like Lollipop, I can't even listen to the opening 4 measures of that song without getting nautious.

So my advice, Drake needs to still keep producing quality, because it all fairness it's not his fault that he's got some of the nicest stuff out there, (and a great deal of hype to go with it.) Instead, everyone else should take this phenomena as a chance to step their game up, to come up with new stuff that will replace this anomaly of not just HEAVY rotation, but SINGULAR ROTATION. It's crazy that right now, Drake is gettting the same amount of play that Lupe, Yeezy, and Weezy do on my iTunes. He ain't up on Jay or B.I.G's status, and definitely not on Michael's but that's still saying a lot.

People should also charge it to themselves to diversify their music library content. I am all for external hardrives for music, music, and more music. My whole music library fits in the palm of my hand and I have ample space for more. Music is limitless, don't box yourself into one Genre or a set of artists. Branch out, while Drake was over blowing up the Hipster/Hip-Hop side of things, the Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist soundtrack was burning up the charts. Yeah you heard it right, I downloaded it on a whim and it opened up new doors to new sounds. I even dusted off some not-so-oldies, like "Seeing Sounds" from NERD and "The Black Parade" from My Chemical Romance, and had a good time.

Don't get sick of an Artist cause everyone plays it. It's not thier fault. Make a choice, stand up...and put that bitch on SHUFFLE