Thursday, May 14

How Could I, Forget You Girl?

Song: Always Something There to Remind Me
Artist: Naked Eyes
Album: Burning Bridges

Whilst vegging out in my bed watching Singing In The Rain on AMC I couldn't help but wonder, what ever happened to the Musical? Why did this seemingly limitless genre of film suddenly disappear from the American screen, only to be replaced by Disney Movies and lackluster remakes of old favorites. (Although, many of my favorites, did first debut on Broadway)

Musicals bring such joy and happiness into the lives of people who just want a vacation from real life. Of course no sensible person bursts into song, with a chorus line back-up complete with harmonies. As many times as I've wished this would happen, it never has. So I must come to accept that these fantasies can only manifest themselves through big-budget over the top musicals strictly for my viewing pleasure and 90-140 minute attention span.

So while reminiscing about the musicals past, I created a list of my Top 5 Favorite Musicals.

1. Singin' In The Rain: This is by far the best musical ever made. A wonderful film set to highlight the glorious dancing talent of the one and only Gene Kelly, while displaying his goofy, comedic nature. This film also featured Debbie Reynolds, a sweet-as-pie actress with a glorious voice. This musical has to be one of the most in-cohesive movies ever made, with dance numbers thrown in for sometimes, no apparent reason. However, it's comedic charm and it's ability to laugh at itself really makes this movie great, and gives it #1 status.

2. The Sound of Music If you don't like this movie, I'd really recommend seeing a licensed medical professional. The only reason to not enjoy this movie, is because of the length, and thanks to the wonderful DVD menu, I can skip to all my favorite songs in a Jiffy. Julie Andrews' natural beauty and her vocal talent is compared to none in this movie, and she still sets the standard for anyone who dares to sing in a movie to this day. I wouldn't be lying if I told you that Julie Andrews taught me how to sing.The Loneley Goat heard, Edelweiss, My Favorite Things, Do-Re-Mi. These songs are all standards, and you couldn't go through your childhood with out learning one of these songs.

3. Mary Poppins: As a child, I hated this movie with a passion, but as I've gotten older this has become one of my favorites. The chemistry between Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews in incredible, and a bundle of laughs for anyone who watches. Again, the songs in this movie are more than memorable, they are what consists of a childhood. Tell me you didn't have trouble sputtering out "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" Again, Julie Andrews is exemplary.

4. Grease: Yes this Movie is a Broadway adaptation, but this is one that is done right. Grease is an undeniable classic, and although we can doubt the musical stylings of John Travolta and Jeff Conaway. Starlets like Stockard Channing and Olivia Newton John were amazing on the screen. Who didn't want those tight satin black pants sandy was wearing? This movie has enough raunchiness and enough great musical numbers, by a full ensemble to solidify it's greatness in Musical History.

5. Newsies: This movie literally came out of nowhere, yes Batman (Christian Bale) is jumping up and down and singing songs about newspapers. This musical was original and the fact that it was mostly male teenagers, was a sight to see. (I mean Oliver! was weird, with little boys running around everywhere) I really don't know why I love this movie so damn much, maybe because Bill Pullman and Robert Duvall played such crazy characters, maybe it's the awesomely-bad New York Accents. Either way, Sieze the Day and Carrying the Banner are certified gold.


Bonus:
Victor/Victoria: Julie Andrews, 'Nuff Said
Oliver!: "Please sir, I want some More"
Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (2000): C'mon Multicultural Cast
Chicago: A very solid attempt.