Sunday, February 8

"They Couldn't Believe I Did It, but I Was So Commited"

Song: Why Should I Be Sad
Artist: Britney Spears
Album: Blackout

One of my friends, the Disney King, told me that when girls show their insecurities, it's such a turn off.

I believe it, actually I believe it wholeheartedly, it's as much of a turn of to guys as it is to girls, but the thing is, insecurities are real, and they can consume you. Even the most confident, outgoing person has some insecurities and faces them every day.

I find it mindblowing, because ever since birth we're only taught to hate ourselves. We're taught to exude false modesty, cover up our assets (Aside: like my shoulders, my mom wouldn't let me wear boatneck tee's till I got to highschool), and to look at our calves thinking they look like the peasant's from Disney's Hercules (Mine do, by the way) Why are we taught these things?

My insecurities were very minor until I hit puberty, and then all hell broke loose. Was I too fat? Was my nose too black? Can they see that blemish on my chin? Am I Pretty Enough? Pretty soon, by sophomore year of high school those insecurities covered my body and my mind. Some were superficial, and pretty easy to get rid of, (like the nose one) but some I'm reminded of every day.

Weight Loss Commercials Haunt Me.
...So do Skinny Jeans and Mini Skirts.
I Only Attract Bums.

Now, insecurities on the outside are nothing major, but sometimes they penetrate the very thin skin you have as a teenager, and interalize inside of you. Your self-worth comes to be determined, not by the self, but what other people think of you. Your thoughts actions rely so much on the feelings and whims of others and it becomes dangerous. There are certain lines you've promised you'd never cross, but later you find yourself toeing the line, or sometimes all out leaping over it. Don't let an outside influence (a boy or a girl) be your end all be all. Don't feed into the melo-drama that you see in the movies (or from your roommate) they can keep all of that. Just do you.

Why am I bringing this up? I've got so many friends coming to me dreading Valentine's Day, as if having a Valentine will make or break them on February 14th. Listen, I love the concept of Valentine's day, and while I don't think that it should be date specific, it's nice to have some reciprocated feelings (of non-hatred) displayed lavishly for you. However, Valentine's Day is also a day to love yourself. Don't wallow in sorrow because no one asked you out on a date for 1 day out of 365, remember that at the end of the day, you've got yourself (and hopefully, you love yoruself), and honestly that's all that matters.

If I could follow my own advice....